Monday, July 21, 2008

Salzburg, Austria

I have found a new place to study - the library - how novel! After hearing that finals in summer programs abroad are no exception to the rule, I am trying to be more diligent. Some of my colleages are gone, having left for home yesterday of or the day before. There are only a few new students for the second session of the program, most of which seem to be L.L.M. students from other countries. There are not many J.D. students that are joining us for these next two weeks. On the upside, I like these two new classes that I am taking. Not only is the format more condusive to law school, which makes preparing for class easier, but they seem to be more doctrinal (so far). No longer are we speaking of the morals of a door (I bet you didn't know that a door had morals, or that it speaks through scripts, as in scripts for a play - neither did I), but we are reading cases and pulling rules and actually discussing "law" instead of "theory". I like it and it is making focusing on my two "theoretical-like" papers more difficult.

It's still rather cold here for July and was raining all weekend. Today there is no rain, but as I sit here inside the library, I have my jacket on and my nose is cold. It's seriously like fall weather.

Yesterday was an adventure and I went off-roading in the Bavarian countryside in a bus - but this blog isn't there yet. You will just have to sit in suspense while you read about Salzburg : ).

Above is an example of the kind of art one finds in the Buchhiem museum - hmmmmm..... interesting....

Two Saturday ago, a group of us went to Salzburg. There were five of us, and up to five people can ride on a Bayern Ticket for 27 Euros. That's a good deal at only 5 Euros and change a person! It's a two hour train ride and we left early in the morning. A few of the group decided to book a Mozart & City Tour of Salzburg, although it was more City than Mozart. Our tour van (which isn't really good for picture taking or looking up any building more than one story high) speed by Mozart's house, above. This is the best shot I got.


This yellow building is where Mozart was born. Zoom! It was a rush to quick, take a picture down this narrow alley, through two archways filled with hundreds of people... again, this is the best shot I got. Pretty unimpressive.


We actually stopped here, long enough to get a picture - that's me! This is one of the Austrian Prince-Archbishop residences. There were many. The Prince-Archbishop that built this one loved water games and built a garden out back that was used to trick his guests into getting wet as they walked and dined in the garden. Strange sense of humor.


There were so many Sound of Music Tours to take in Salzburg. We didn't do an actual tour, but Andrea, Denise and I are posing infront of the actual gazebo where Lisel and her beau danced and sang "I Am 16 Going on 17." Okay, time to start research for one of my papers.

No comments: