Friday, July 18, 2008

Has the Novelty Worn Off?

It's only weekend number two, but already a little weariness has crept in. Most of us are all on European time, so naps aren't as frequent, but finals for some are tomorrow and final paper deadlines are set. This can all create a little stress simply because we are all taking two classes within a two week time frame and haven't had time for the material to sink in. The class structure is very different than the semester long doctrinal classes we are used to - some of the classes aren't even doctrinal at all. What to expect is becoming difficult. Lucky (maybe) for me, I don't have any finals tomorrow. My courses for this session consist of two final papers both due on August 16th. However, with finals in classes I haven't even started two weeks from tomorrow and returning on August 10th with a full time job, I almost wish I had the finals and could be done with it. Just another challenge - although I can't say that I'm thrilled about this one...

On a good note I was able to do a load of laundry! Seriously, this is an accomplishment. Word to the wise, it is extremely important to always arrange accomodations with laundry facilities. I was lucky enough to have connections in high places (at a hotel with a laundry room : ) ).

Above is a view of the Bavarian Parliament from the roof of the German Patent & Trademark Office. You can see for miles from the rooftop! By the way, I have been so busy that my pictures have fallen behind. As mentioned earlier, we visited the Office last Friday and BMW Welt today. But bear with me, I'll catch up : )!!

Here is everyone from the first session perched atop the roof of the German Patent & Trademark Office including the officers and examiners that gave the presentation on patent prosecution (not trademark - bummer!).


The "old" trademark for the German Patent & Trademark Office. The new trademark is a rectangle with a splotch of paint or some other kind of liquid sprayed on the retangle. Innovative and modern maybe, but I can't say that I'm a fan. The retangle is supposed to represent structure (patents) with the splotchy thing representing creativity (trademarks/copyrights). The mark doesn't really shout "official". I'd like to know if the registrations place the "old" or "new" mark on their certificates. If anyone knows, please feel free to comment... I haven't seen one in awhile... most trademarks I've worked with don't just file in Germany ; ).

After visiting the Office, a bunch of us headed down to the Starnbergersee in Starnberg which is a beautiful lake southwest of Munich and just a short S-Bahn ride away. The boat above takes you to the "Museum of Fantasy" or the "Buchheim Museum". You can see another just like this half-naked masthead at the museum... along with a bunch of other strange items.


A view from the boat, overlooking the lake! An interesting note about Buchheim, he was an eccentric crazy man; a collector, artist and writer. He wrote the war novel Das Boot, which I am sure many of you are familiar with.

No comments: