Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Germlish

We finally have a nice day in Munich! It has been rainy and cloudy with few exceptions, but today the sun is out and I'm thinking of ditching my jeans for a pair of shorts. I am presently at my apartment, awaiting the FedEx man. After a small panic attack realizing that Bluebook cites were required for my paper I frantically sent for the ever-loved "Bluebook" (yes, it is blue). Now the paper is due a week after my return ... and I can add the cites later. Scheiße (that's German for "shit" - hehe). Too bad a FedEx from the U.S. costs an arm and leg - lesson learned.

Speaking of how cold it has been and my jeans, I only brought a few pair and have been wearing them every single day. Laundry time! I decided to find out where the nearest laundromat was ... it's 2 miles away!! And they just happen to be on vacation so the place is shut down. Who shuts down a laundromat?? Many students are staying at the Max Emmanuel Hotel, and are planning on sneaking me in so I can use their washers - yea!

Another set back - communication. The calling card doesn't work, the cell phone is broken, and what the heck is Skype?? Some students have been able to purchase disposible phones for arounf 15 EUR, so I think I'm going to get on that train. Too bad I already gave everyone my phone number. Oh well, I'll just have to switch out the SIM card.

Above is another angle of the residence palace. I feel so lucky to have these grounds as my "second home". There are worse places to have class everyday : ). Just picture that guy walking to be a little shorter, and then dress him in a Napolean outfit. Voila! You have the past. Cool.


Wienerschnitzel! I was told by many that if I have one meal in Germany it has better be this. It was excellent. It is flattened breaded veal. Now I would not normally eat veal in the States, but when traveling you must make exceptions. This plate was eaten at the Hofbrauhaus, although I had better in Salzburg, Austria.


Riccardo, Richard and Mike at the Hofbrauhaus! Dinner and beer, and then more beer. This eventful evening was the birthplace of the phrase "Skutchien Sie Bitte" which is Heather-Germlish for sckooch over please. The vocabulary has grown : ).


Last Friday we had our first "study visit" and we traveled to the German Patent and Trademark Office. The Director and Examiners generally rambled on about the prosecution of a patent in Germany, much of which I was already familiar with, but nothing on the comparitive aspects of their trademark prosecution. I should have asked ... I blame the Hofbrauhaus from the previous evening ...

James is stuck in an elevator above. After the presentation at the Office we travled up to the roof to take some pictures. The elevators were strange to say the least. They have no doors and they keep moving! You just hop on two at a time and hope you don't miss! Then you hop out and hope you make it on solid ground before the elevator swallows you up again! All of a sudden, the elevators stopped and James was stuck. We took pictures. What else could we do : ) ?

Here is me at the top of the German Patent and Trademark Office overlooking the city of Munich.

No comments: